Request for Review
The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
(FOIP Act) gives you the right to request an independent review by the Alberta Information and Privacy Commissioner of any decision, act or failure to act made by the university.
You may request a review of the university's decision regarding your request if
- Access was denied to some or all of the records requested
- The university was unable to locate a record/records to which you believe it has access
- A request to correct personal information was denied
- You feel that the university has collected, used or disclosed your personal information in violation of Part 2 of the act
- You are a spouse, partner or relative of a deceased person and the university made the decision, under section 40(1)(cc), not to disclose personal information
- You are a third party and the university is going to provide access to information that affects you without getting your agreement or consent to release the information
- You feel the university is taking too long to respond to your request
- You feel the fee is too high
Requests for a review must be made in writing either by completing a Request for Review form (pdf), or by writing to the commissioner indicating that you are making the request under the FOIP Act.
The request letter should include
- The name of the university
- The original request file number assigned by the university, if applicable
- The nature of the original request
- The decision to be reviewed
- Your name, address and telephone number
Copies of the original request and the university's decision letter should also be provided, if possible.
If you are the applicant, you have 60 days from the time you are notified of the university's decision to submit a request to the commissioner for a review.
If you are the third party, you have 20 days from the date of notification that the university intends to release the information, to request a review by the commissioner.
Send your request for review to
Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta
#410, 9925 - 109 Street
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2J8
Telephone: (780) 422-6860
Fax: (780) 422-5682