Skip To Content

Athabasca University

Correction of Personal Information

Most routine changes or corrections to personal information, such as a new address or name change, do not require a request under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FOIP Act). Contact the office responsible for the records and request that the changes be made. The office may require you to complete a form.

If this does not meet your needs, you can make a request under the FOIP Act to have the information corrected. The university does not have to agree to change the information, but it must make a note on your file that you have requested the change.

Under the FOIP Act, the request for correction of personal information must be in writing and can be made by either using the Request to Correct Personal Information form (pdf) or by writing a letter indicating that you are making the request under the FOIP Act.

When making a request by letter:

  • Clearly identify the specific information that you believe is wrong and give the correction
  • Provide your name, address and telephone number where the FOIP/Policy Coordinator can contact you
  • Sign the letter

If possible, the university must make a reasonable effort to respond to your request within 30 days of receiving it. If more time is required, you will be advised as to when a response will be available.

Updated January 28 2021 by Office of the University Secretariat

AU, CANADA'S OPEN UNIVERSITY, is an internationally recognized leader in online and distance learning.