Office of the University Secretariat
Office of the University Secretariat (OUS)
The Office of the University Secretariat, under the direction of the University Secretary, is the administrative office responsible for ensuring the effective and efficient operation of Athabasca University’s bicameral system of governance, comprised of the Board of Governors and the General Faculty Council and their respective committees. In addition, the Office of the University Secretariat provides leadership and expertise in privacy compliance and information access, policy management, ombudsmanship, human rights and legal issues.
The Office of the University Secretariat provides professional support and guidance to the governing bodies, their standing committees and advisory groups, and to senior university officers on all governance, policy, and operational issues that might affect the institution.
Activities and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Support the operations of the University’s governing bodies and their respective standing committees and advisory groups, including
- the planning of meetings, and guiding Board/GFC and Committee tasks to completion
- coordinating and administering elections for the governing bodies and committees
- facilitation of Board recruitment activities
- proposing and developing objectives and plans to establish and achieve priorities of the Office of the University Secretariat
- oversee and ensure appropriate workflow for approval processes on mandatory government submissions on behalf of the University
- development and maintenance of Board/GFC bylaws and committee Terms of Reference
- Advise on governance issues and the development and implementation of policies, procedures and processes that reflect governance best practices
- Ensure and oversee the development and maintenance of policies and serve as the repository for university policies, as well as information and data on matters relating to university governance
- Ensure and oversee Athabasca University’s compliance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and manage information access requests.
- Ensure effective operation and independence of the Ombuds Office for Athabasca University
- Facilitation of legal issues and opinions as required for Athabasca University.
- Support the activities of senior search committees.
Last updated on Fri, 09 Nov 2012 17:54:58 GMT Office of the University Secretariat